Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hager receives CoSIDA/ESPN Academic All-American honors


Follow ericataylor24 on Twitter
In recognition of her efforts on the soccer field and in the classroom, sophomore midfielder Lauren Hager was selected to the 2010-11 CoSIDA/ESPN Academic All-District Third Team by the members of the College Sports Information Directors of America.

Hager is the first RSU soccer player to be named to the list and is the second athlete in the four year athletic program of Rogers State University.

Since her arrival to RSU, the Belgrade, Montana native has accumulated 15 goals and dished out 6 assists while serving as a team captain for the Hillcats.

But what you probably won’t see on a stat sheet is the amount of work the sophomore puts forth both on and off the field.

Hager currently holds a 3.8 grade point average as a medical/molecular biology major. She credits one of her abilities to balance both school and soccer through her time commitment.

“I definitely have to be disciplined,” said Hager. “I have to set certain times of when to study and I have to stick to it, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to do well.”

Hager also spends her time participating in Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) and Campus Crusades for Christ.

To be eligible for this award, student-athletes must be a starter or top reserve, maintain at least a 3.3 GPA and have reached sophomore athletic and academic standing at their institution. First, second and third teams are selected for both the University Division (NCAA Division I) and the College Division (NCAA Division II, III, NAIA and NJCAA).

Here are 5 random things you may have not known about Lauren:

My teammates say I am
… hardworking

My favorite class at RSU has been… anatomy and physiology. I really like the professor; it’s something I’ve always wanted to study when I was younger

My first job was…a crew girl at my church Christian Ranch, I was fifteen, I spent the summer up in the woods at this camp. I helped cook, I cleaned and did laundry for all the staff.

If I could teleport back into time… I would probably go back to bible times just to see Jesus doing some crazy miracles.

The most important thing I’ve learned at RSU… probably to be more intentionally with my time; not just wasting these good years of my life, actually putting them into action and doing something valuable with my time

The most important thing I’ve learned as a Hillcat… knowing that it’s a privilege to play and being able to work hard every day

Photo by gssphotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment